This career is amazing, you get to meet new people, go to new places, experience something different every.single.time, and you get paid for enjoying, which is a plus
Let's just get right into the tips:
- First and one of the most important things carry in your bag is "girl stuff" it doesn't matter if you are a boy or a girl, if you got a model or actress that has her period and she hasn't notice you need to act fast and save the day, and believe it will happen at least once in your lifetime.
- When it comes to contracts write everything down, and i mean everything, invoices, estimates, trial runs, EVERYTHING, specially when you have a bride and she says she is going to hire you, make them pay(half or just the trial run) in advance so you won't loose the money and you will get some certainty. also a little tip, ask the client if they have any allergies or if they wear contacts, that way you'll know and you'll write down as well.
- Social skills are necessary for this job, you'll have to talk to people all the time, you have to promote yourself, and without social skills how are you even going to do that, ha? connect with your clients, in my case i work a lot in the "video making" part of the industry, i have to talk to director, director assistant, actors, actresses, models, designers, hair stylists, and when working in production... which I have done a few times, you'll need to talk to everybody! Connect with your clients, because the best way to promote yourself is by giving your clients something good to talk about to their friends about your service.
- Go to school, is better if you have a diploma or at least a paper that proves you know what your doing. Also is very good way to find clients, most of the schools will give job for experience, which means you'll have to work without getting paid because you gain more experience, and you increase your portfolio, and this takes me to the next step.
- Practice,INSANELY, just do it, you saw a music video that had really cool makeup? go ahead try to recreate it, a magazine, a picture, anything if you like it you try it, if a really good picture comes out of that go ahead put in your portfolio. Practice in your mom, your moms friends, your sister, your aunts, girlfriends, and everybody you can. You also gain experience by doing this so it is a plus.
- Build a portfolio, This is a way to promote yourself through the internet and in person, when I'm working with somebody (photographer or models ) i show them my portfolio, so they know the range of makeup that I've done in the past, it also helps to get an idea on how creative is the person your working with, it helps to see a little bit of their vision and if your interest you can check their work ahead of time as well.
- Teach yourself new techniques, if there is something beautiful about the new era, is that you have the chance to look up anything you want in the internet, old makeup artist couldn't look up techniques in their computers, you also have accessibility to books on the internet.
- Build a kit, obviously ask for makeup on your birthday, or for christmas present, or for anything you can ask for makeup or money as a gift, building your kit slowly is the best way, most of the makeup is expensive, and believe is an investment in the long run.
- Always be organize, believe having your kit and makeup space organized while you work will improve your numbers when it comes to timing.
- Be clean, I can not stop saying this, SANITIZE your hands, wash them before and after touching anyones face, keep alcohol close to you, keep your kit clean, keep your makeup space clean, it will give quite an impression on your client :D
- Be confident, not only on your everyday life, but be confident on what you say to the client, you are the one that knows the subject better than anybody else in the room (depends on what you specialize in, if it's for movies/short films, photographs, beauty, special effects) YOU, the one that went to beauty school, is the one the knows how, what and why it works that way, obviously tell them without disrespecting anybody.
- Find your specialty, there is a whole bunch of different specialties, like Beauty(mostly for parties and stuff), photography, video, film and wedding, Special FX, so choose the one that you feel more comfortably with and work with it.
- And finally ENJOY, is a completely different adventure every time you work, it doesn't matter if it is the same crew that your working with, there is always something new happening.